1. Mantras and latest project description
Design Mantra: Creating spaces for self-reflection and the reinvigouration of our dreams.
Statement of Excitement: Creating an oasis in the heart of the city where wishes come to play.
Mission Statement: We are a design team that creates spaces for private reflection and rest in the middle of busy public places.
Possible name: Reflecting Pool
Description:A circular wishing well (fountain/pool) surrounded by a low seating area where weary travellers and shoppers can sit, meet each other and listen to the background sound of voices whispering, ‘I wish, I wish’.
Participants can make a spoken wish then throw a coin in the well. If they do their wish will be echoed back, followed by the wishes left by earlier visitors. This collage of human wishing and wanting plays for an interval before returning to the, “I wish, I wish” mantra.
An angel statue outside the well offer pennies in its outstretched hands.
2. WOZ concept To be presented.
3. Audience and Location
We are making this wish well for people in busy public spaces such as
- transportation hubs
- shopping centres
We’re considering 3 corresponding locations for our installation such as:
- Union Station
- St. Michael’s Hospital
- Eaton Centre
We’re looking for feedback on:
- Which locations might work best
- Contacts at these locations
- What we should be creating for our InterAccess soft launch considering our intention is to install our well eventually in a busy public (non-gallery) space.
4. Advice we want from crit team:
- Are there similar projects to this Reflecting/Wishing Well?
- How could we make the wish recording and coin throwing experience seamless and intuitive?
- How can we invite participants to make a wish (voice invitation? text?)
- How can we use audio techniques, such as white noise or noise cancellation, to make our space a haven of quiet calm?
- What issues should we be aware of when working with water and electricity?
- What do you think of using water in the pool/well an additional interface – i.e. fingers trailing in water active some audio?